OADI Peer Mentor Program
OADI Peer Mentor Program Background
The OADI peer mentor program launched in fall 2021 merging Cornell’s values of learning, discovery and engagement through intentionally connecting traditionally underrepresented and/or underserved undergraduates in a mentor capacity. This peer mentor program recruits 15 OADI signature program students (EOP/HEOP, Pre Professional Programs (P3), OADI Research Scholars (ORSP) and McNair Scholars) to serve as peer mentors to 15 first year and/or transfer student mentees. The OADI peer mentor program is focused on connecting those who seek access to opportunity and capital through identity-informed community building. OADI advising serves a diverse student demographic, specializing in supporting students who come from low-income backgrounds, students who are the first in their families to attend college, and under-represented students of color. Our peer mentor program will cater to students from these backgrounds and cultivate student leadership to support the transition of peers into and through the university. The program will enable peers to serve as role models, teach and reinforce skills for success through individual and group-based programming, and cultivate leadership skills for both mentors and mentees.
Required Skills and Strengths for Mentors
- Have been an active member of at least one OADI signature program for at least one year
- Must be a full-time enrolled OADI signature program student
- Must be actively engaged in OADI
- Passionate about empowering themselves, empowering others and OADI community
- Possess a love for OADI community and be deeply invested in the program’s strength and success
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, written and oral communication skills are essential
- Commitment to meeting with mentee at least twice a month between September 2023 and April 2024
- Excited about encouraging and celebrating small wins of mentees and ripple effects of mentorship
- Commitment to one academic year required
Required Skills and Strengths for Mentees
- Must be full-time and enrolled in first year and/or transfer student
- Passionate about empowering themselves and actively engaging in the OADI community
- Possess a love for the OADI community and be deeply invested in the program’s strength and success
- Commitment to meeting with mentor for the full academic year, at least twice a month between Sep 2023 - April 2024
- Excited about sharing and celebrating small wins with mentors
Important Application Details
- Applications are now available click the links below!
The OADI peer mentor program begins in September 2023. For more information, please contact Steph Cowling-Rich, Assistant Director of Student Advising and Engagement at OADI, firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to see a feature of the program, check out this 2022 Cornell Chronicle Article.