The OADI Research Scholars Program (ORSP) provides underrepresented first-year PSP students with the opportunity for research-oriented academic preparation in their field of study through coursework, mentoring, and informative events. The program also prepares participants for successful application to prestigious research-based scholarship programs, on campus and beyond.
About OADI Research Scholars Program:
The OADI Research Scholars Program (ORSP) provides its participants with research-oriented academic preparation in and professional development through coursework, mentoring, and informative workshops. The OADI Research Scholars Program is directed through the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education and administered by the Director of the OADI Research Scholar Program. The program is also connected to the Director of Undergraduate Research and Cornell University Libraries.
The OADI Research Scholars Program provides underrepresented students with opportunities for research-oriented academic preparation in their field of study through coursework, mentoring, and informative events. The program also prepares participants for successful application to prestigious research-based scholarship programs on campus and beyond.
- Coursework and experiential learning help develop OADI Research Scholars’ foundational research skills, build their awareness of research centers and resources, and engage them in research opportunities on campus and beyond.
- Active involvement with the OADI Research Scholars Program prepares participants for future prestigious research opportunities, scholarships/fellowships, and graduate programs so they may become thriving and contributing multicultural scholars in their respective academic fields.
- Participants’ scholarship and success are supported through facilitated mentoring relationships with underrepresented graduate students and campus researchers.
- Building relationships with campus and local cultural activists, scholars, librarians, and archivists, OADI Research Scholarship help contribute to the scholarship-activism that strengthen the academy and campus/local activism through a multicultural framework.
Sample Research Topics:
Sample research topics that have been explored through the OADI Research Scholars Program include:
- Calcium Responses in Immune Cells
- Performing Masculinity on Stage and Beyond
- Connections Work Group (CWG) Pilot Project: Using Video-feedback to Advance Relational practice and Enrich Faculty-Youth Interactions in 4H Program Setting
- Synthetic fiber and insecticides are crucial to the fighting mosquito borne illnesses
- Patient Activated learning System (PALS)
- Skeletal Muscle Regeneration Decreases due to Age-Related Diminished VEGF Signaling
- A Chemical Genetics Approach to Study Circulating Tumor Cell Clusters in Zebrafish Melanoma Cells
Workshop and Meeting Topics Include:
- What is research?
- How to begin research?
- Crafting your research question.
- For-credit research experience and academic grounding in research methods in the arts, humanities and interpretive social sciences.
- Stipend for ongoing research activity (distributed during the summer) and greater consideration for other OADI financial grants/scholarships to support conference attendance, research assistantships, community-engagement experiences, etc.
- Mentorship opportunities with current Cornell graduate students, faculty networking, and advising from OADI staff.
- Student success workshops and individualized research assistance.
- Assistance with preparing scholarship/research opportunity applications, including application essays and statements of purpose.
- Resource library (including information on research assistantships, scholarships) and computer lab with complimentary academic printing.